Breakfast in Bed: A Fruity Custard Breakfast Bake
We've been asking you to send in your breakfast recipes, we wanted to try some of your ideas for ourselves and share them with our customers.
Breakfast is so important, and when there is time, making a delicious extra special breakfast is the best way to start the day. This recipe takes just 25 minutes to bake, so there's time to have a sit down and read the paper whilst it's in the oven. You'll want to stay close though because it smells yumdiddilyumpsious.
Thank you so much to Marie for sending this to us, if you have a recipe to share we'd love to give it a go and feature it here next time. Send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Enjoy.
- Fresh fruit. Raspberries, strawberries and/or blueberries
- Single cream, to pour over the top
- 500g of ready-made luxury Custard with vanilla
- A loaf of fruity bread, we used cinnamon & raisin loaf OR 6 big hot cross buns (or 9 mini buns)
- A little butter for greasing and some milk
How to cook
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees (gas mark 4)
- Grease a large ovenproof dish with a little butter
- Pour your custard into a jug, add a splash of milk to make it easier to pour
- Cover the bottom of your dish with custard (so it's just covered).
- Take the slices of bread or buns and place a layer in the bottom of the dish, pushing them into the custard, so that it's absorbed.
- Pour a second layer of custard over the top, spreading with the back of a spoon.
- Continue to layer your loaf or hot cross buns and custard until there is no more left.
- Sprinkle with a little nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Cook in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until the top is light golden brown and the custard is bubbling away. Leave to stand for five minutes
- Scoop or cut out into portions, top with fresh fruit and add a little extra cream if you have a really sweet tooth.
If you don't have any fresh fruit, top with a generous serving of slightly melted jam.
You can make this even more special by making your own fruit loaf and custard, Marie recommends Waitrose fresh vanilla custard and we've got our eyes peeled for a recipe for a fresh fruity loaf. If you have one, we'd love to hear it.
Thank you Marie, that was quite a treat.